Master of Science in Statistics Programme
OUR MASTER OF STATISTICS PROGRAMME
The Master of Science in Statistics programme is offered by the Leuven Statistics Research Centre (LStat), in collaboration with the Master of Statistics at Hasselt University.
You'll be trained intensively in both the theoretical and practical aspects of statistics. The programme will help you develop a problem-solving attitude and teach you how to apply statistical methodology.
THE DIFFERENT TRACKS
The Master of Science in Statistics programme consists of 120 ECTS points. The standard study time is two years but can be substantially reduced based on your background knowledge and previous grades (see below).
To tailormade the programme to your needs and interests, you can choose one of the options/profiles :
- Social, Behavioural and Educational Statistics
- Business Statistics
- Industrial Statistics
- General Statistical Methodology
- All-round Statistics
- European Official Statistics (EMOS) : this track will be offered as of academic year 2017-2018
For each option, there are common courses, option-specific courses and elective courses. The master thesis is also mandatory.
NEWS AND EVENTS
- General KU Leuven info fair for future bachelor and master students on 25 February 2017, from 10.00 to 16.00. Place to be : University Hall, Naamsestraat 22 in Leuven. More info.
- Specific info fair for future students organised by the Faculty of Science (including Master of Statistics) on 27 March 2017 from 18.00 to 21.00 at Campus Arenberg III in Heverlee. Exact location will be communicated later.
ABRIDGED QASS PROGRAMME (60 ECTS)
The Quantitative Analysis in the Social Sciences (QASS) track is a one year track within the Social, Behavioural and Educational Statistics option of the 2 year Master of Science in Statistics programme. It aims to improve methodological knowledge of students who acquired a Master degree in one of the behavioural sciences, such as sociology, psychology, political science, pedagogy, and economics. It also focuses on training students in advanced reasoning in quantitative analysis.
ONE-YEAR ABRIDGED PROGRAMME (60 ECTS)
If you have already obtained a quantitative master or PhD degree - including a solid initial training in statistics - you may qualify for a tailormade one-year abridged programme (60 ECTS).
- One web lecture of Concepts of Multilevel, Longitudinal & Mixed Models (Prof. G. Verbeke, phase 1, 2nd semester)
- One web lecture of Sampling Theory (Prof. G. Molenberghs, phase 1, 2nd semester)
- One web lecture of Optimization and Numerical Methods (Prof. G. Molenberghs, Prof. F. Tuerlinckx, phase 2, 1st semester)
- One web lecture of Longitudinal Data Analysis (Prof. G. Molenberghs, Prof. G. Verbeke, phase 2, 1st semester)
- One web lecture of Statistical Software (Prof. A. Carbonez, phase 1, 1st semester)
Some useful references which might help you bridging the gap between your mathematical background knowledge and what is expected.
- Searle, S.R. (2006). Matrix Algebra Useful for Statistics. Wiley
- Maes, C., Welkenhuysen-Gybels, J., Loosveldt, G. (2000). Basisconcepten van de kanstheorie en de inductieve statistiek. Leuven: Acco.
- Loosveldt, G., Maes, C. , Welkenhuysen-Gybels, J. (2000). Basisconcepten van de beschrijvende statistiek. Leuven, Acco.
- References to Free online course material :
http://bookboon.com/en/statistics-and-mathematics-ebooks (Collection of free e-books)
http://academicearth.org/mathematics/ (Collection of free weblectures)